Tuesday 15 July 2014

A list of lists

Right now, my life is all about lists. I have a Master List, which is essentially, a list of lists.  From here my lists are organised from the obvious (to do, to pack, to beg/borrow/steal) to the more obscure (exactly which Little Miss books need to be packed)
These lists are then divided again into sub lists which contain more specific detail, such as the quantity and colour of the underwear Louloute will require and an itemised record of Choupette's (most necessary) teething tools.
Needless to say, travelling from one side of the world to other, from winter to summer and night to day with two tiny people requires some forethought.

My least favourite list is my risk assessment (list).  Basically, this is a list of anything and everything that could go wrong from the time we leave the house (flat tire, traffic delay, car seat poo explosion-we all know they're the worst) to the plane (Choupette refusing to sleep, Louloute refusing to sleep, them both refusing to sleep and the subsequent hours and hours and hours of having them both not sleep) to the airport (they lose one of our bags but not just any bag, the bag with Woofie, Louloute's favourite stuffed friend and constant companion resulting in a breakdown in the arrivals hall. At least by this time we will be in France so perhaps the meltdown won't translate?) to the car (see above) to the whole time we are in France and then back until we drag our sorry selves over the threshold some three weeks later.

While the makings of this list is the stuff of my three am wide awake worries,  I must admit I feel better knowing it is all written down in black and white.  Because the best part of this list is not the 'what could happen' but the 'what to do if something does.'  Near each potential mini disaster is a strategy to best subvert, or at least survive, it.  Poo explosion in the car? Clean it up! (Ok, that one was easy) Meltdown  from an overtired seven month old on the plane? Pass out those tiny bottles of tequila stashed in the overhead to your fellow travellers along with earphones and an apology. No bag + no Woofie? Hand Louloute over to the relevant baggage claim handlers and have them explain the situation, no doubt Woofie will turn up pretty quickly after that.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have item 23 from sub list 3, (linked to risk assessment scenario 14) to attend to (i.e. equipment needed in the event of an airplane toilet freak out/refusal situation; the flush scares me)




4 comments:

  1. I'm a list maker too. Lots and lots and lots of lists. It helps me feel organised and in control I suppose. Your trip sounds fabulous. My advice, be prepared but just try and relax and go with the flow and enjoy every moment. Even the bad ones will be memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Malinda, I hadn't thought of it like that but you're right, even the difficult moments will make memories (sometimes even better ones!) I'll remember this!

      Delete
  2. Ha ha, this couldn't be further from the way I work. SD makes me lists all the time but I loose them, doodle on them, give them to the kitten to play with and sometimes I think I may just eat them ... Lists make me more anxious as they just remind me of the things I should have done but haven't - I guess I COULD just DO the things on them ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol Sarah, sounds familiar. I often find one of my lists behind the couch cushions, covered in indecipherable french courtesy of The Marseillan. He's not a believer either!

    ReplyDelete